Simplifying Rational Expressions - Golf Game
Simplifying Rational Expressions - Golf Game:
This is a fun way to work through practice problems with rational expressions. (Polynomials in numerator and denominator - requires factoring)
Students "play" each hole on the course (5 hole-worksheet) by pulling a "driver" card, then an "iron" and then as many "putter" cards as necessary to sink the ball (get one right).
Each card has a rational expression that must be simplified. The golf worksheet has room for work, answers, and scores. A correct answer is 1 stroke. An incorrect answer lands your ball in the sand/water/etc. and forces you to add a stroke.
Each player checks the opponent's answers (Answer charts are included).
Some special cards give chances to get a "birdie" by answering a challenging problem correctly. The student then hits directly onto the green. He/she can then skip the iron card and go straight to putting.
Reviews from other math teachers:
- Great selection of problems and a fun activity for the kids.
- Students really enjoyed this!!
- Great way for students to review simplifying rational expressions! Makes it seem like a game more than math practice.
- Fun and engaging resource.
- I provide this as an extension activity when we complete our factoring unit. Since it is not a topic that my students will be expected to know for the state exam, I add it on at the end of the unit and allow them to see where the topic will go when they get to the next grade. Most students enjoy the game and are happy that their skill set allows them to stretch a bit to do advanced work. It's a fun, low-pressure introduction to the topic. Thank you.
- This was a great activity for my Algebra 3 activity. Provides a lot of practice but in a fun way.
- I am so impressed that you came up with this idea. This game does take up quite some time, but it was a great and creative resource to use after teaching rational expressions
- Love how this makes students work together
- Great activity! My Algebra 1 students were engrossed. They loved it. Thanks!